The name of this project is The Homeless Project: giving a voice to the voiceless
What is the Project about?
The Homeless Project is a research project dedicated to raising awareness of Homelessness, tackling the stereotypes associated with it, and creating new methods to reduce Homelessness in the U.K. The name symbolises the need for an equal voice among all people regardless of their situation. There are a lot of truths regarding this issue, that need to be unravelled and I hope that this project is able to do that.
Why am I doing this?
There are numerous organisations dedicated to helping people who are homeless, however I wanted to take another approach. I thought it would be interesting to create a research project that analyses Homelessness as a whole. There are many things in relation to Homelessness that we do not take into consideration and my aim is to bring the ‘unknown’ issues to light. With this project, I want to address particular trends in Homelessness in different parts of the UK, publish the stories of the Homeless people I meet and discuss some of the underlying causes of Homelessness today.
Homelessness is an issue I believe a large number of us have unfortunately become desensitised to due to general societal misconceptions, that need to change. The negative stereotypical views of all homeless people being alcoholics and drug addicts are too common and not true. Society has encouraged generalisation of a lot of things and it is not right. Homelessness is increasing yearly with current figures at 4,134 rough sleepers in England (2016) (according to www.homeless.org.uk) However, it is extremely difficult to gauge an exact figure so this could be significantly higher. Regardless, this is something that needs to be tackled.
In the future, I hope to set up an organisation that supports those who are homeless. It is not fair to see people miss out on opportunities due to unforeseen circumstances. I would like to provide the necessary support and guidance to ensure that homeless people are able to pursue their dreams and goals, whether it is linked to education, employment and much more. For this to be executed well, I need to do my research. I hope this project not only educates me, but you are also able to take something from it.
The Project is split into eight sections:
2. The Causes of Homelessness: The Internet vs Real Life – This section will discuss some of the uncommon causes of Homelessness.
3. Facts and Statistics – This section will be based on facts and statistics of homelessness around the U.K
4. Being Homeless – This section will be dedicated to the stories of people who are homeless. The main aim of this section is to provide a real insight into their lives. I want you to understand some of the daily challenges they face and see how similar our lives were to theirs before they were homeless. I hope to remove some of the negative misconceptions you may have.
5. Stereotypes – This section has been created to compare our views on Homelessness against some of the truths. A lot of the stories from the ‘Being Homeless’ section will be used to analyse how similar/different our views are on this issue.
6. List of Homeless Organisations within the UK
7. Work that people are doing to support Homeless People
I will be posting research and some of the stories on my blog, which will allow you to see all the pieces come together. I plan to dedicate the rest of my time in University (and more if necessary) to this project. If you would like to get involved, or have any ideas for this project, feel free to email me!
Follow our Social Media Pages:
Thank you for reading and God Bless! x